Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > 2008 - 2012 Playgroups > 2012 Playgroups > July 2012 Playgroup

Starting solids? - July 2012 Playgroup

Old December 4th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #17
Steener11

Member #: 13584
Fish is a "not until 1 year" food...I think? Fish, eggs, nuts?

Sent from my iPhone using TMP Forums

Steener11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old December 5th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #18
AJH1544
My DH's #1 Fan

Member #: 16785
http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...s/solids-when/

Guidelines for when to start

AJH1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #19
bees

Member #: 16614
Spices
"When Can I Add Herbs and Spices to Baby's Food?

A majority of pediatricians will recommend waiting until an infant is 8 months or older to introduce spices and herbs. This recommendation often has more to do with staving off digestive upsets than it does with possible allergic reactions. If your baby is doing well with foods and does not seem to have any digestive upsets, then jump right in with spices! Like any other new food, please follow the "4 day wait rule" when introducing spices and herbs. As always, please discuss the introduction and use of herbs and spices with your baby's pediatrician.

Don't forget, if you are a breastfeeding Mom, your little one is already tasting herbs and spices. Herb and spice flavors are transferred through breast milk, helping create and develop a taste for non-bland foods."

We started with spices when we moved on to BLW/finger foods. Purees we did bland. Meats are up to you when you want to start. Every doctor seems to recommend something different. Some even say to start with it. Some say do it after fruits and veggies. The important thing is to offer each food individually for 3-4 days in a row. We did meat as a finger food after fruits and veggies (pulled pork, chicken, etc....easy to eat). Eggs and fish are after a year (some are even later). We don't eat fish in this house so I never offered it lol

Fish
Eggs
(Under Meats and Dairy at the top you'll find more info for each type of meat, eggs, etc.)

bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #20
s.rose
can't wait till January!

Member #: 13046
Ripley hasn't met any of the milestones recommended for starting solids, even her doc said definitely wait till 6 months. her doc recommended we start with a grain like rice cereal diluted with breast milk, thickening it up over a few days as she can handle it, and once she can take it pretty thick to start with pureed veggies.

so no solids till Jan 21st I think!!

even then, not sure if we'll start with something like baby oatmeal or go straight to veggies. I just don't know. I love the idea of baby led solids, but not sure how it will work for us.

s.rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #21
MiBebe

Member #: 16007
Jude has been eating baby food for a couple of weeks now. He seems to love it. I have given him mostly homemade stuff and a few jars of organic stuff from the store. I have used spices. I made sweet potato in chicken broth from when I made a pot of chicken soup last week. He loved it! Honestly, I just do what my mother did for me. I was a very tiny baby, borderline failure to thrive. I would not eat anything store bought she started making my baby food. She just cooked our cultural foods with all the spices and herbs, etc. She then pureed it and fed it to me. I was a healthy baby after that. I gobbled it up because it tasted good So far Jude loves food. I do not add anything to fruits, only to veggies when it makes sense and we havent tried any meat yet.

MiBebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #22
misslisa

Member #: 11227
I read somewhere today that babyies can't follow a calendar, so you have to follow what types of milestones they are reaching ( the tongue push out, sitting well assisted, etc). Your mommy instincts will kick in and let you know when he is ready.

misslisa is offline   Reply With Quote