Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > 2014 Playgroups > April 2014 Play Group > Birth Stories

Brooke and Morgan's Arrival! - Birth Stories

Old March 28th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #1
Erin986
Double Trouble on the way

Member #: 8826
Brooke and Morgan's Arrival!

After 9 long months, the final members of our family finally arrived on Monday March 24th! I checked in for my induction at 7am that morning. I never imagined what a crazy, unpredictable, fast paced day it would be. After getting all checked in, the nurse attempted to start my IV. Three attempts (and 2 nurses) later, the IV was finally in! Not a great start to the morning, but it didn't matter to me - I was just ready to meet my girls. Around 8am, my doctor came in to confirm the babies' positions on ultrasound. Both were still head down, so we were set for a vaginal delivery! To move things along, she broke the water for Baby A (Morgan). Since things could move fast once on pitocin, she wanted them to get my epidural in before starting the pitocin. Contractions started on their own once my water was broken, but they were manageable.

Soon after my doctor left, they showed up to start my epidural. They got me in position and numbed my back. They started to thread the epidural, but couldn't get it in the correct position. I had a previous back surgery, so they thought maybe the scar tissue could be interfering. They had to take the tubing and needle out to retry. During the process, they dropped the tubing causing it to no longer be sterile. While waiting for them to get a new epidural kit, the numbing medicine wore off. So, once they had the new kit, they had to re-numb the area and try the epidural again. Finally it worked that time!

After they left, I laid back and prepared to take a nice long nap while the pitocin did it's job. Based on the induction with my first child, I figured we were in for a long night. Wrong! Soon after laying back, I started feeling sick. The nurse quickly rolled me on my side and put oxygen on my. The epidural was causing my blood pressure to drop dangerously low. After my blood pressure recovered, they let me sit back up in bed. Unfortunately the incident happened again not long after sitting up. They couldn't start pitocin until they stabilized my blood pressure. After trying a few different positions, they finally had to have my epidural turned down because I just couldn't handle the amount of medicine they had given me.

Finally at 11am I was stabilized and we were able to start the pitocin! They checked me and I was 4cm, 80% effaced. After all this, I was too wound up to sleep. Dh and I had a good time just chatting. My parents came to check on me around 12:30 and DH went to the cafeteria to get some lunch. DH got back to my room around one, at the same time the nurse came to check my again. My parents stepped out of the room and as the nurse checked me I told her I was feeling pressure with the contractions, but no pain. She immediately responded that I was feeling pressure because I was complete and these babies were coming!

The hospital required that all twins were delivered in the operating room, so everyone went into a scramble to get everything prepared and get me down there. DH had to change into scrubs, my doctor had to be called and told to rush over from the clinic, and they had to prepare an emergency c-section cart, just in case. After a few minutes (that seemed like a few seconds) we were rushing to the OR. DH barely had time to tell my parents that we were heading to the OR - unfortunately he didn't have time to explain so they were left wondering if everything was ok or not.

Once in the OR, I was moved to the operating table and had a million people coming over to tell me who they were and what their roll was (like I really could remember or even care in that instance!). Shortly after we were in there, everyone was in place and it was time to push. As soon as I started pushing, my BP started dropping again. Luckily keeping oxygen on me helped get me through the deliveries. I don't know how many pushes it took, but it took less than 10 minutes for Morgan to be born. Having one of my princesses here was such a relief! I heard the nurses say she weighed 7lbs even, which was close to what I expected.

But then worry instantly set in on what position Brooke was in and if she was going to stay head down for delivery. A quick ultrasound confirmed she was head down, so the doctor broke her water to get her to drop into the birth canal. After a few contractions I was told to start pushing and she moved along quickly. Brooke was born 28 minutes after Morgan. I was shocked when they said she was 5lbs 13oz! I always thought she was the bigger baby!

I was so relieved when the NICU nurse came over to me and told me Morgan was perfect and the only issue with Brooke was that she came out a little cold. We just needed to feed her first and do plenty of skin to skin time. No NICU time for my girls! As soon as they were cleaned up, they were both put on my chest. I was able to bond with them as my doctor sewed up my tear and delivered the placentas.

I'm so thankful that I was able to deliver them both vaginally. It was scary and chaotic, but I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Erin986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old March 28th, 2014, 09:17 PM   #2
Sindorella

Member #: 16096

Legit cried reading this!!! I'm so glad you got your vaginal birth and they are both healthy, no NICU time, and look at what a rock star you are going to 38w!!

Sindorella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #3
Jessie Rose

Member #: 13778
That's awesome Erin!!!

Jessie Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #4
amber1010

Member #: 22268
At was really cool to read thank you for sharingTh

amber1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 10:17 PM   #5
MamaBlee

Member #: 24374
So awesome! I was so curious to know of you got to have them vaginally! Yay!! You did great!!

MamaBlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #6
FaithNhope8

Member #: 23809
Sooooo amazing to read your girls story. Love love love that you delivered twins vaginally. You're a rock star. ❤️

FaithNhope8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 11:11 PM   #7
BlueJelly

Member #: 15594
I love it !
It sounds pretty scary at the beginning but I'm glad everything turned out great!
Congrats again Erin ! So happy for you !

BlueJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 11:16 PM   #8
My2rainbowgirls

Member #: 24740
Omg this is amazing! So awesome that you were able to delivery them vaginally! Way to go momma!!! You're awesome!

My2rainbowgirls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arrival!, brooke, morgan's