Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > 2014 Playgroups > April 2014 Play Group > Birth Stories

Steven's Birth Story - Birth Stories

Old April 5th, 2014, 06:46 AM   #1
chris917

Member #: 11700
Steven's Birth Story

Contractions started at 35 weeks. They were inconsistent, but painful and coming for about 3 hours at a time and then just stopping. This went on for a week off and on. Then they just stopped and I had a few days of feeling really good.

At 37 weeks I went to bed and couldn't sleep due to nausea and what I thought were gas pains. After trying to sleep for 2 hours I gave up and went downstairs to watch TV. The "gas pains" worsened but had no pattern. Coming sometimes every 10minutes, then nothing for 1/2 hour...

I fell asleep on the couch and woke up around 5:45 am to terrible pains that were coming every 3 to 4 minutes. I went to the bathroom and my water broke. Not all of it gushed out at once. I got a big gush that soaked me and it was mixed with blood. About 10 minutes later another gush. The contractions were coming every 2 minutes now.

I was group B positive and had been told if my water broke that was it, call the doctor and go to the hospital. So I called the service and left the doctor a message. I called my uncle to come over to watch my son, and I woke DH up and told him what was going on.

We were at the hospital by 9:00 am. I was in so much pain as the contractions were on top of each other now and not letting up at all. I was checked and found to be at 4 cm dilated. I asked for an epidural.

The anesthesiologist was training a resident and it took them FOREVER to get that epidural in. Over 1/2 hour, but it felt like 3 hours. They had to try twice. But once it was in and the medicine given, everything changed. The pain went away and I could think again. DH and I relaxed a bit, watched a movie and just relaxed for awhile.

Around 1pm I was checked again and found to be at 9 cm! Almost time. I was fully dilated a little before 3pm and the nurse asked me to do a practice push as I had been feeling the pressure to push for a few minutes. I did and the baby almost came out on the practice push!

She ran for the doctor and they set up really fast and told me to start pushing. I did and had his head out with the first contraction. Then they asked me to stop pushing. The cord was around his neck. A few moments of sheer panic as they very calmly removed it from his neck. One more push and he was here!

Steven Louis was born at 3:01 pm. 6 pounds, 15 oz. 18 1/2 inches.

They put him directly on me for skin to skin. It was amazing!

He came out so fast his face was swollen and bruised and he swallowed some fluid and was a bit "juicy" until he worked it all out. He took to nursing right away and is an amazing baby!

chris917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old April 5th, 2014, 08:42 AM   #2
My2rainbowgirls

Member #: 24740
Aww I LOVE this! So crazy how it all happened. So happy for you!! Reading these stories makes me so anxious for my lady to get here, I can't wait to hold her!!

My2rainbowgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 10:09 AM   #3
MamaBlee

Member #: 24374
Wow!! What a story! Thanks for sharing!

MamaBlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #4
NicoleMc

Member #: 24680
So glad all went well

NicoleMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #5
Erin986
Double Trouble on the way

Member #: 8826
Great birth story! You're a brave woman letting a resident do your epidural!

Erin986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #6
nkgonzalez

Member #: 22337
Such an amazing story! Sounds like everything went smooth for you congratulations again!

nkgonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #7
chris917

Member #: 11700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin986 View Post
Great birth story! You're a brave woman letting a resident do your epidural!
Lol. Yeah I regret that.

chris917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 10:22 PM   #8
FaeMommy

Member #: 24191
Our stories are similar! Great job mommy!

FaeMommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birth, steven's, story