Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > 2014 Playgroups > May 2014 Playgroup > Pregnancy Journals

5surprise's little possum <3 - Pregnancy Journals

Old September 10th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #9
5surprise

Member #: 21132
And here is my growing family. Just for names to faces...

Brayden (7) Kai (3) Makaya (20months) Harlan (5)
ForumRunner_20130911_134414.png

And Andrew & I
ForumRunner_20130911_134208.png

5surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old September 11th, 2013, 03:01 AM   #10
5surprise

4w2d....

This is me today (left) and me the night before my daughter was born... :o

My weight is less now than it was then. Crazy!!

ForumRunner_20130911_170026.png

Old September 11th, 2013, 07:04 AM   #11
5surprise

Makaya Elissa Shorten ~ Petite Princess
20th January 2012

Our story begins as any other birth story, we found out we were pregnant 2 days before Kaizens first birthday (27th May 2011) We were ecstatic!
Our pregnancy progressed smoothly until our scan at 22 weeks – I had refused the morphology scan due to being told falsely Kai had Trisomy 18 at his morphology scan. I did agree to a scan to check the placenta placement. This revealed I had a posteria placenta previa with only 2mm of cervix uncovered. It was to be rechecked at 32 weeks, but the Ob said it was unlikely a posteria placenta would move. I prepared myself for a caesarean – planning it exactly the way I wanted it – maternal assisted, skin to skin straight away – the most natural c-sec I could possibly have.

At 31 weeks I went to the maternity assessment unit, as I had been having contractions that were getting quite bity. They did a few tests and found that it was not labour, and diagnosed an irritable uterus. They also did a quick scan to check bub was ok, and check the placenta – even though I had the proper scan 2 days later. The placenta was “fully covering the cervix” – bub was ok, but transverse.

Two days later, I had my 32 week placenta check. The placenta was 12 cm out of the way. When I told the ultra sonographer about the Ob scanning 2 nights ago, she rolled her eyes and said “bloody Obs have no idea… it was probably baby’s arm she saw” Bub was measuring 31 weeks and doing great. A week behind is within normal range, so no one was worried.

I attended antenatal clinic at 34 weeks, the Ob measured my belly and wanted a scan to check bubs growth, as my fundal height was at 31 weeks. I wasn’t concerned at all, as I had a small belly with Kai too but his growth was perfect. They booked me in for a growth scan a week later.

At the growth scan, it showed baby was measuring 32 weeks – meaning bub hadn’t grown much at all. I was sent to the Ob straight away, who plotted bubs weights on a personal growth chart – bub had dropped from 50th percentile to 10th percentile… in just 3 weeks. She wanted series of follow up scans. Doppler in a week, full Doppler and growth scan the following week.

37 weeks and I go for the Doppler scan – this is to check cord flow, placenta etc. The Ultrasonographer does a full scan accidently (no complaint from us ) it shows bub is measuring 33weeks, having put on 40g since the previous scan – bubs weight is at 2.69kg putting it on the 3.9th percentile. He sends us straight to the maternity assessment unit to see them.

We wait for ages before finally getting to see the Ob. He sends us home saying the ultrasonographer wasn’t suppose to do the growth scan so they are disregarding it. UMMM WHAT????? Luckily I have an Ob appointment the next day with the good Ob!

That afternoon I arrange with my mum and sister to be on standby for the kids the next day, as I plan on fighting to get this baby out. I feel all is not good, and the growth shows something isn’t right – if I need to fight, I will! Though the Ob iv been seeing is awesome, and im sure I wont have too.

The next afternoon (19th Jan) I see the ob. I freak out, as its not the Ob iv been seeing at all my appointments, I feel im going to have to fight after all. I walk into the office and she says straight away, “look, im not happy with how this baby is growing” I say, “me neither, im scared for it – something isn’t right” she says she agrees and that its safer for baby to be out now than in. PHEW! No fight after all! She checks my cervix which is closed, hard and no where near ready. Sends me for blood tests, then over to maternity assessment unit to be induced.
I get the blood tests done, ring my mum and sister to update them and arrange the kids. Then dan and I head to the maternity assessment unit. We stay on the monitor for a while, then get moved to birth suite for gel to be inserted. Gels are inserted at 5pm. I have to lay there for 30 mins on the monitor, then I get moved to the postnatal ward for the night.

Dan heads home to make sure all is good with the boys, I walk and walk – small contractions start, by 10pm im having 2 contractions in 10mins, mild but getting stronger, dan comes back, so we decide to go to sleep – if contractions pick up then ill wake. The next time I wake its 5am, and all signs of contractions have gone. Bugger!

6am im moved to birth suite to be checked. 3cm! nice! Waters are broken, nice clear fluid. Im on the monitor for what I presume is 30mins to make sure bub copes with it. The midwife needs to put a catheder in due to my hemorrage with Kai. She attempts it, fails, bursts a vain, gets the Ob to do it – shes a COW, I realllly don’t like this Ob. She looks at my hand, attempts to put it in again. Fails. It hurts, im cying, then she says she will have to put it in my right hand, I refuse. That is the hand I use to reach down and touch my baby’s head – there is no way its going in there. She cracks it at me saying I need it in that hand, and grabs my hand. I sit on my hand. There is no way shes getting it. She attempts the left hand again, same vain as the one that burst. She pulls it in and out trying to get the vain – im crying again. She eventually gets it in. THANK GOODNESS!!!

The midwife who is my one on one carer today comes in, they talk about starting the drip, I refuse. I ask for an hour or so to see if things will start with the waters broken. This is when the truth is told to me – I have to be on monitors til the baby is born – drip or no drip. Im devo’d, no shower, no walking, nothing I usually use for pain relief can be used with the monitor L im crying again… this is the point I give in. I tell them to start the drip, and get me an epidural – if I have to go through this without my “usual” relief, then I don’t want to feel any of it. My natural birth has been taken out of my hands, so I may as well give in completely. Thankfully the midwife is very pro natural, and understands how hard it is for me doing this after 3x natural births. So she talks me around into not getting an epidural. Im scared, so many horror stories about inductions. But I agree not to get it yet.

The drip is started on 3, at about 7am and doubled every 30 mins til labour is well established. Contractions start mildly straight away, by the time the drip is at 48 (2 hours later) labour is well established, and they say they aren’t going to up it anymore.
11am and things aren’t progressing, contractions aren’t getting stronger, so I ask the midwife to up the drip again. She agrees and puts it up to 64. Contractions take off from now. About 12 I guess I asked for gas. Within minutes I felt the need to push at the end of each contraction, then it quickly progresses to full on pushing. I push and push and push – at 1.15pm they ask to check my cervix the midwife checks, 5cm, then the head midwife re-checks thinking it was impossible to be 5cm. she says 5cm is being generous – she says its at 4cm – 4cm What the?! They tell me to not push – IMPOSSIBLE! I ask for an epidural now, because I CANT not push. 12 minutes later the Anaesthetist comes in, apparently talked to me, but I don’t remember that at all. I ask how far away the epidural is, because I’m fighting and fighting not to push, its soooo hard and soooo painful not pushing. They tell me hes here and hes just getting his stuff ready. I turn around and see him walking out of the room. Another contraction hits, I fight pushing again, im on the edge of the bed, holding my legs closed, the midwife tells me to move over, then dan tells me to move over – I yell at him that I cant. Within seconds I announce baby is coming and then it falls on the bed. 1.30pm – just 15 minutes after being told I was 4cm, and just minutes before getting an epidural. The midwife yells at dan to push the emergency bell, as there is no one but her here. The head midwife runs in…

I ask what the baby is (it is behind me, I cant see) I get told “we don’t know” in a rushed voice… im not sure whats going on, but I can tell something isn’t right – about a minute later dan hugs me and says “we got a girl!” I think I almost fell off the bed!

Our beautiful girl Makaya Elissa Shorten (Makaya meaning Petite Princess) was born 20.1.2012 at 1.30pm with no official pushes at 5pd 9oz – 2540g – less than what the last scan showed her at! She was born with the cord around her neck 7 times.

Talking to a student Ob later on in the postnatal ward, I found out that my odd labours (with Kai and Makaya) were caused by having LLETZ surgery on my cervix in 2009. The scarring causes the cervix to “bounce” open and closed – so when I was pushing, it was probably because the cervix was open, but then closed before it could do anything, so when I was 4cm, I may have actually been 9cm, but due to the “bouncing” its hard to know. The pushing helps keep the cervix open even though its not fully dialated. Pity I didn’t know this before Kai & Makayas births! Fighting the pushing was the most painful thing iv ever done in my life! But im so in love with our baby girl, that its all worth it now! And just for anyone who is scared of induction, I didn’t find it any more painful than going into labour spontaneously.

Old September 11th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #12
Janou

Member #: 10753
First of all your family is just beautiful Thank you for sharing her birth story with us. That must have been very scary!

Janou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #13
tnt1043

Member #: 24864
that story had me on the edge of my seat. what an adventure. you're a rock star.

tnt1043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #14
jbulleyment

Member #: 21311
Well done you! Glad your ob was on the same page, sounds like things could've turned out differently had you not had your mothers intuition on side

jbulleyment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #15
5surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt1043 View Post
that story had me on the edge of my seat. what an adventure. you're a rock star.
I certainly didn't feel like it at the time! For 3 babies I had stood tall on natural birth. No drugs, no anything. Then I was demanding an epidural with #4. Crazy!! Lol glad I did it with just gas in the end though

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbulleyment View Post
Well done you! Glad your ob was on the same page, sounds like things could've turned out differently had you not had your mothers intuition on side
Mothers intuition is so strong. You just know when something isn't right.

Old September 12th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #16
5surprise

4w3d. I just spring cleaned my house. My back is aching, I'm exhausted!!

Told the inlaws I was pregnant yesterday. They hate me (because Dan and I are still officially married, they think I'm just "playing Andrew" and will run back to Dan... no way, no how, never.

Anyway, they found out a few weeks ago (accidentally via fb) that we were TTC. They lost it. Telling Andrew he's a fool and he's going to regret it, "dont let that stupid bit&h take your sperm and run" etc etc

So, as you can imagine we expected them to looooose it about me being preg. But, they surprised us. They are stoked! Maybe they realised I'm not going anywhere and they have to deal with it... not sure, but I'm happy (for Andrews sake) that they are happy about it

Told my mum. Stupid alcoholic didn't even reply my sister is due in march, to a guy she's been with for a month (before getting preg) and my mum is soooo happy for her. I guess cos hers is #3 and this is preg 6 for me.

My sister went nuts. I thought you weren't having any more, how can you afford it blah blah blah.

My dad just said "your choice you deal with it" not sure how to take that one!

It Sucks. Who cares if its number one or #20. Its a planned baby coming into a happy family, shouldn't s/he deserve everyone to be excited?!

So that's put a damper on my day. And stopped me from announcing on fb any time soon.

In other news. I found a fb post today that I had written when I was pregnant with Quinn. "Hcg at 9dpo, 1567"
Quinn was a "missed miscarriage"
I was freaking out about my high hcg meaning another miscarriage - but after seeing how high they were with Quinn, it makes me feel a lot better about my 11dpo 133! Stick baby, stick!