Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > 2013 Playgroups > 2013 Playgroups > June 2013 Playgroup

Changing baby's waking time? - June 2013 Playgroup

Old March 26th, 2014, 05:32 PM   #1
tiffnyloo

Member #: 18954
Changing baby's waking time?

This is a novel so bless you if you read it.

So we used to have a really good routine of sleep, even if we used sleep strategies that not everyone agrees with like nursing to sleep and cosleeping.
night time 7 PM-6:30 AM
naps first nap at 9:30-10:00 then the second one 3 hours after the first.

After DST we are thrown off and it's starting to have some unhappy consequences.

So now LO has a hard time getting to sleep before 8:00 partly DST, partly because it's light, but a dark curtain isn't helping. So I just kind of thought oh well, he'll just go to bed later. It doesn't work great though because I have to wake up at 6:30 for work. I've been letting Lawson sleep in after I wake up though which has been okay, but sometimes not so great.

For one if he sleeps in his naps are thrown off for the day, which is a small annoyance.

The more rough thing that has been happening the past few days is he wants to sleep later and later and I am having to wake him up rather than let him wake up naturally which he's not too happy about, but then he also seems unhappy that he's slept in and didn't spend very much time with me before daycare. Like I can't get him to wake up until like 7:45 and we leave for daycare around 8:00. He used to wake up at 6:30 and spend a bunch of time with me.

So today at daycare his caregiver called me saying she was worried because he seemed 'out of it' today which is really a worrisome sign for illness. It turned out he was totally fine and happy after a long nap and after I came to nurse him.

I think he was out of it either from me waking him up rather than natural waking or from being sad/depressed from me leaving him without spending a lot of time together.

Maybe that sounds dumb. Anyway any advice on getting my baby to go to bed earlier and wake up earlier other than a black out curtain?

I think the key I need is to start waking him earlier. Is there a best way to wake a baby? I always hear don't wake a baby, but I feel like it's key to getting him back on the right page.

tiffnyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old March 27th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #2
WhiteWolfe

Member #: 20279
How long is his second nap? Maybe you could wake him up a little earlier from that one... ?? I wake warner if he's sleeping past 4:00 to make sure he'll go to bed. But his 7:00 bedtime is becoming more of an 8:00 bedtime theses days too. Ugh

WhiteWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 12:55 PM   #3
Meg626

Member #: 22044
How's it going? Sorry I missed this!

Meg626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #4
tiffnyloo

Member #: 18954
Oh it's okay. I think I am just going to have to resign myself that I cannot predict when he will want to sleep or make him sleep when I want him to and that doesn't mean I'm a bad mom. Throw daycare in and the trouble he has when he can't nurse to sleep and it's even more complicated.

His late nap is usually 1 hour starting at 1:00 or 2:00. I know bedtime ALWAYS has to be pushed to 8 if he slept past 3.

I was able to gently wake him a few days by rubbing his back. So I guess that kind of works. Infant sleep. It kills me. I just have to give up trying to control it and enjoy this season for what it is.

tiffnyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 12:13 AM   #5
WhiteWolfe

Member #: 20279
I finally gave in last night too. For at least two weeks it's been taking an hour and a half to get warner to sleep at bedtime and he's always awake until 8:00. So last night I let him stay up and play and we started his routine late and aimed for 8:00. Worked perfectly - no fight. Same thing tonight. So even though NCSS says they need an early bedtime and 7:00 was working great for a while, he has changed it up. And we're all a lot happier if I follow his cues rather than try to force him to follow mine.

We will all survive this!! Lol

WhiteWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby's, changing, time?, waking