Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > 2015 Playgroups > February 2015 Playgroup

Noel's birth story - February 2015 Playgroup

Old February 26th, 2015, 10:10 AM   #1
Jenniboo

Member #: 15306
Noel's birth story

I wrote this out more for my own benefit than anything else....but decided that since I did I should share it for anyone who is interested. Warning, it's quite long. I just compared it to the one I wrote about DD1 almost 3 years ago, and interestingly enough, it's almost exactly the same length. Weird? Anyways, here it is if you have enough time/patience to read the whole thing.

I got into my car on 2/12/15, my due date, praying that this would be my last doctors appointment for this pregnancy. I was so ready to meet this little child, find out if we had a boy or girl, and just be done being pregnant! I really preferred not to have to be induced for that to happen. I actually had 1 contraction on the way to my appointment and a couple more while waiting to see my doctor. I thought, how ironic would that be? If I started going into labor at my doctor's office? But they faded away without much going on. My doctor asked if I wanted him to strip my membranes to see if that would move things along. I said, yes, please!!

After the appointment I had some cramping, but he told me to expect that since my membranes were stripped. So I didn't think much of it. Had a few more contractions later in the afternoon, but nothing that continued to build in intensity or work into a pattern. By 4:00, contractions were non existent. I asked Eric and Natalie to take care of Abigail's dinner. I was feeling nauseous and didn't think I could eat anything. Just after 6:00 I had a few contractions. Didn't start to time them right away since I figured that it would take a few hours to actually be ready for hospital time. But I did notice that they came on much stronger and much closer together than with my daughter. I asked Eric to call his mom and tell her that we were bringing Abby to spend the night. I told him that we would definitely be going to the hospital at some point late in the night. He called his mom and starting putting last minute things in his bag like his toothbrush and shampoo. At this point I was guessing it would be close to midnight by the time we made it there, but knew it would be easier on everyone if Abby was already at Grandma's before her bedtime.

At around 7:10 my water broke. Eric had just put Abigail in the bath, so I was screaming ‎ across the house to get his attention. Natalie came to check on me and took over with the bath and said she would get Abby to grandma's house. The contractions started coming hard and fast. I went into the bathroom to kiss Abby goodbye and told her that she would meet her little brother or sister tomorrow.

On the way to the hospital we hit a few speed bumps. I was already crying and told Eric that the speed bumps made it hurt even more. He asked me if we should slow down, but I told him we had to hurry to the hospital. I was ready to get some medicine to help with the pain. We pulled up to the front of the building and couldn't find parking. Eric asked if he should let me out and go find a spot. I was screaming in pain at thus point, but told him NOT to leave me. I needed him by my side. Seeing how ‎serious I was getting, he parked the car right in front and said, "they can tow me if they want to!"

While walking in the front door I heard someone in the lobby say, "awwwwwww! They're having a baby!!!" I wanted to punch her. Haha I was not feeling like this was an "awwwwww" kind of moment! (later, after all was said and done, I decided she was probably a very nice person. Haha) . We got into the elevator with two other people. I wished they weren't there because I was so uncomfortable, crying and moaning. I didn't want anyone but me and hubby around, but I wasn't about to wait for the next one. They were very nice and asked Eric if there was anything they could do to help. When we got to the maternity floor someone mentioned a wheelchair. I was already feeling the urge to push when contractions came, and I couldn't imagine sitting in a wheelchair. The gentleman at the front desk started explaining how we had to fill out paperwork, etc, etc.
I was in NO condition for filling out paperwork. I shoved the clipboard towards eric and told him to " write something on this paper as FAST as you can.!!!" I couldn't have cared less if what he wrote was accurate information. Eric was trying to scrawl something onto the forms, but the contractions were coming even faster and I was squeezing his arm so tight I was honestly worried I would draw blood. I was the crazy lady you see in the movies, crying and screaming. I could feel the baby moving down even further and I finally yelled, "we've got to DO something!! I'm about to HAVE this BABY!!!" I hear a voice down the hall saying, "get that woman to room 7!!!"

A couple of nurses appeared and helped me to the room. Someone helped me onto the table and undressed me from the waist down. I looked at who I presumed to be the doctor in the bunch ( I'd never seen her before) and asked if I could have an epidural. ‎Mentally, I knew the answer. I knew it was too late. But I was in denial about the fact that I was about to have a baby without any pain relief whatsoever. When I asked about the epidural, the doctor said, oh no ma'am! You're about to have this baby *right* now. For the next 20-30 minutes while I was pushing, I repeated two different things :
1. I can't do this. I can't have a baby without ‎any drugs. (the doctor and my husband tried reassuring me that I could. I was sure they were both lying. )
2. We are never having more kids!!! ‎I'm never having more children! (in retrospect I found this funny. But at the moment I MEANT it! Eric said he thought it was kind of funny, but wouldn't dare laugh. )

To say that natural child birth was a painful / stressful experience would be an understatement! But at least if I had to do it with no meds, it was quick. I was so relieved when I heard, "we have a head! One more big push and we'll have the shoulders. " By 8:01.... less than an hour after my water broke... I had my baby girl on my chest! When they first handed her to me, she was on her side with her legs tightly closed. I asked Eric, what do we have? A boy or a girl? He said, I don't know! I haven't even checked! The doctor told him to check so he could make the announcement and he grinned when he said we had another girl. I held her close to me and told her that her name was Noel, and that I finally knew what to call her. I wouldn't have to call her just 'little baby " anymore.

The nurse took her to do the initial weight/ assessment while I received a couple of stitches. They also gave me a shot of some type of medicine (now I can't remember the name, although I know they told me) to help my uterus contract and get back to normal. They said it's normally given in the IV. But I was given an injection since there was no time to give me an IV! (Today is almost 2 weeks later and I still have a bruise from where the nurse tried. I apparently yanked my arm away to start pushing during my next contraction before she even got it in. I knew she was trying to give me one, but told her I had to push. I couldn't wait.)

Noel Lucy Chastain weighed in at 7 pounds, 11 ounces and was 19 inches long.

I finally realized that I had NO idea who the doctor was. I looked at her and said, "Who ARE you? ". Haha I guess it probably came out sounding rude, but she apologized and said her name was Donna, she is a midwife at the same practice as my doctor I'd been seeing, and there simply wasn't time for introductions beforehand. Eric went back downstairs to move the car and get all of our bags. He actually met Natalie on the elevator as she was heading in and she couldn't believe Noel was already here!

I did get the shakes really bad after delivering. Once I nursed Noel for the first time I didnt even want to hold her anymore for almost an hour. I was afraid I'd drop her! The nurses all assured me this was a normal reaction, although it was a little scary. I guess I just wasn't expecting it.

My parents arrived a couple of hours after she was born . Shortly after they got there, a nurse came in with all of the paperwork that we were supposed to complete to be admitted. So my mom (always taking pictures! ) took a picture of me signing a consent to treat me during delivery, while actually holding Noel.

We were told we could probably be discharged at the 24 hour mark, but she was slightly jaundiced so the pediatrician wanted us to wait until the next morning to be sure that her birillium levels went down. Her numbers were great the next morning when she was retested, so we brought her home on Valentine's Day, at about 40 hours old.

She is wonderful, we are all in love, and feel extremely blessed. Two weeks later, big sister can't give her enough kisses and hugs. I love hearing her say, "Look, Mommy! Her fingers are so teeny tiny! Do you see how small her lips are?!"

Jenniboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old February 26th, 2015, 10:26 AM   #2
SarahhhFo
Wife, Mommy and Yogi

Member #: 25284
I LOVED reading this! I'm 15 days away from my due date and this makes it seem more real. I'm hoping to go without meds, so it's nice to know what to kind of expect.

SarahhhFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 11:03 AM   #3
Amndpu

Member #: 24477
Thank you for sharing your story! I hope my labor is kind of that quick. Congrats on your baby girl and I love her name!

Amndpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 11:25 AM   #4
Altrix
aka 55555

Member #: 17653
Why did I read that?! As if I'm not terrified enough that my labour is going to go too quickly >.<

Thanks for sharing, great story!

Altrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 11:59 AM   #5
Cinnamon320
Mama to 3 and 3 angels <3

Member #: 4404
Beautiful story! And she was born on her due date, right? How wonderful to have another sweet baby girl!

Cinnamon320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 12:02 PM   #6
Cinnamon320
Mama to 3 and 3 angels <3

Member #: 4404
And random question- but who is Natalie? Your nanny? How great that she was there!

Cinnamon320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 12:57 PM   #7
Jenniboo

Member #: 15306
Oops! I intended to include that. Natalie is my best friend and actually lives 2 hours away. She was off work for a few days and came to visit, hoping to be here for baby's arrival. Thanks goodness she was here! If we had to stop at Grandma's house after getting her out of the bath we would have been in a rough situation!

Jenniboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 02:24 PM   #8
Rrasmussen

Member #: 12430
What a beautiful quick birth story. Thank you for sharing.

Rrasmussen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birth, noel's, story