Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > 2015 Playgroups > February 2015 Playgroup

Malcolm's birth story and updates on us. - February 2015 Playgroup

Old February 19th, 2015, 04:17 PM   #1
rootbeerlove

Member #: 22968
I want to put down the whole story, before I forget, and Malcolm is having a sleepy day now. This morning, woah, but this afternoon, snore.

At 5am 5:08 to be specific on February 2nd, our 7th wedding anniversary, I shifted my position in bed, and my water broke. It was a huge gush, and I woke Jason up. For the past 9 months he asked if I was okay every time I got up to pee, but this time I had to shake him and say his name twice to wake him up. I told him to go get towels, and he did. He came back, without his glasses and told me there wasn't any mess. Then he found it. I got up, went to the bathroom and put on a pad. I was due for an NST at 8, so I wasn't sure what to do. Stupid, in retrospect. I called the dr and she said that if I was feeling good movement, to wait and go in for the NST at 8. I said I wasn't, and she told me to eat some breakfast and then see. If there still wasn't movement, then to go to the hospital. I made a big mistake and just ate a protein bar. If I'd known what was coming I would have gone to Cracker Barrel or something. I still wasn't feeling anything, so we put some final things in the hospital bag and went to the hospital. About halfway there, he started moving around. Of course. We went ahead in, and the gave us a room.

They hooked me up to the monitors, and sure enough, I was having contractions. They were very mild, but there. We settled into the room, to wait. It seemed like 5 minutes later that they came in and checked me, I hadn't progressed much if at all, and they said that if I didn't soon, they would have to put me on pitocin. Sure enough, I didn't and they came in to start it. The iv insertion was rough, they missed on the first try and then the vein rolled on the second. Sigh. The pitocin started, and little stinker started running away from the monitor, I had to get in bed and stay there. It was the opposite of what I wanted, but very well. We watched a movie, and they increased the dosage. The contractions got stronger, but not ever really closer together. They kept upping the pitocin. They said they could go to a 20, I was at a 12. I kept going. At around 9pm, the contractions started to get really strong. Up until then. I felt like I could work through them. I'd been at a 4 about an hour previously. I tried to get up, do some of the positions that had felt good during the childbirth class. Every time I got up, he came off the monitor and I had to get back in bed. Argh. They told me they were going to have to up the pitocin again, and checked me one more time, I was only a 4.5. The pain was so bad at that point that I asked for an epidural.

Oh man. I was nervous for that epidural. The placement was rough. It hurt and I was scared. Jason had to go take a walk after it was in. Things get a little fuzzier for a while at this point. I think I slept a tiny bit, but the next thing I remember was excruciating pain in my back, I mean, really bad. I could still feel the contractions, but they were much less, but baby still kept running from the monitor. The nurses repositioned me several times to try to relieve the pain, and they gave me 3 extra doses on the epidural, but nothing helped. I was starting to think about asking about a section, just to stop that back pain.

Eventually, around 6 am, I was checked again, and there was only a lip left. The pain was because he was trying to come out sunny side up. The nurse called the doctor and I was given the okay to start pushing!! At this point, I had been in that bed for around 24 hours. The only sleep I had gotten was tiny naps between contractions, and the only food I'd gotten was one Popsicle and one gummy bear. They had been testing my blood sugar and blood pressure constantly, and the one gummy bear had spiked my sugar. I wasn't sure I had anything left to push with. I could still feel my contractions, they were actually at a perfect level. I could feel each one, but the pain was manageable.

Pushing actually felt pretty fast. Once I started, it felt better to be doing something. At one point, I felt him turn, and the pain in my back went away. Jason was great. He counted through the pushing, and held my neck. The nurse was surprised because at one point I asked him to count slower, because I felt like I could push longer. I was surprised when the doctor said that she was about to gown up. Just a few more pushes, and he was out! I swear I thought I yelled "that's the baby" but Jason said I didn't. They put him on my chest and we all three cried. He was born at 9:34 am.

Jason cut the cord, and the dr stitched me up. I felt that waaaaaay more than I wanted to, but I was pretty distracted because baby wasn't breathing well. He was doing it, but a bit too fast. He slowed down some, and they gave him back to me. He latched on for a hot second, but that was really it. I finally got to eat, and we were moved to a post partum room. We decided on Malcolm James Robert Wallace. Lot of name, but I'm sure he will live up to it.

He was still breathing fast, so they took him away to the nicu, known at our hospital as the special care nursery. They took a bunch of blood for tests, and put him under a warmer. He spent most of the first night down there, and then they brought him back to our room. This was the pattern for the next couple of days. His breathing would be great for a while, then speed up again. They did a blood culture, and found no infection. They x-rayed his lungs, but there was no fluid. Eventually they just said that he'd had a rough transition. I was discharged on time, but they let us stay in the room until he was discharged, a day later.

YAY!!

Last edited by rootbeerlove; May 27th, 2015 at 09:37 AM..
rootbeerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old February 19th, 2015, 07:16 PM   #2
rootbeerlove

Baby crying bbl

Old February 19th, 2015, 07:37 PM   #3
pixxie
loving my baby!!

Member #: 14787
ahhhh, I'm on the edge of my seat!

pixxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 07:40 PM   #4
Rrasmussen

Member #: 12430
Me too, feels like I was there.

Rrasmussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #5
rootbeerlove

Argh. I was almost finished and the app ate it. More coming.

Old February 22nd, 2015, 01:56 PM   #6
Shuree

Member #: 23462
Very detailed, love it! Can't wait to hear the rest ♡

Shuree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #7
rootbeerlove

Ok, I kind of finished it. I'm sure I initially wanted to write more, but it's all gone from my brain now. I'm glad I got down what I did before!

Old May 27th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #8
Rrasmussen

Member #: 12430

Rrasmussen is offline   Reply With Quote