Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > 2008 - 2012 Playgroups > 2012 Playgroups > June 2012 Playgroup

acid reflux go away! - June 2012 Playgroup

Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:45 AM   #1
twobytwo

Member #: 13454
Sad acid reflux go away!

Oh goodness

For the past week Ive had aweful acid reflux. I don't have to eat anything and it happen

Anyone else, and what can you take for it? what is the cause of it?

twobytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:56 AM   #2
HillFam2011
C&H Mommy!

Member #: 16159
Reflux is totally normal as your pregnancy progresses. It's a combination of a few things. 1)Your uterus is growing and pressing up against your stomach. This shift in position makes acid or digesting food more likely to push back up. 2) Hormones in your body are causing muscles and other tissues to become more relaxed. This change also allows the muscles that hold acid down in your stomach to relax and it allows more acid to come up. 3) Digestion tends to be slower during pregnancy. So it takes longer for the food to get through your digestive system.

There are a few things you should do. Avoid caffeine as much as possible, especially in the evenings or around times when you might take a nap. Don't eat before lying down. You want at least a good hour between eating anything and lying down. Eat smaller meals. The more you put in your belly the longer it's going to sit there. There are plenty of OTC meds you can take. They usually recommend trying Zantac first. You can take 150mg twice daily. Give that a week for full relief. If you're still having issues you can try Prevacid AC. This is what I use. I take 1 20mg pill every evening with dinner. If those fail you can try Prilosec OTC. You only take it once a day. Make sure you give any meds a full week to take maximum effect before switching. You can also chew Tums through the day if they help you any(they've never done anything for me, though). I'm even on BP meds and my doc says all of these are safe.

HillFam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:14 PM   #3
ChristianWyattsMommy
Mommy to 3 "furbabies" :)

Member #: 17129
I have had horrible GERD since day one, finally last month my dr prescribed Nexium because i was still puking at 4 months. It's 50 bucks a month, it helps with the intense nausea, i still get some heartburn but it's only 1/5 as bad as it was.

I was told to take zantac prior to the nexium, its available over the counter

ChristianWyattsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acid, away!, reflux