Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > Oh Baby! (birth to age one)

Reflux Momma's - Oh Baby! (birth to age one)

Old August 22nd, 2011, 12:13 PM   #1
beyondsingle

Member #: 5660
Reflux Momma's

So I am pretty confused. They called me back and said that Cadence has severe reflux. The Dr wants me to pump so that I can add rice cereal to her milk. I am skeptical about this as well as worried about introducing cereal so early. Of course my DH is like well they are the Drs so you might want to listen to them. I have been doing some things to help her out the last 3-4 days and she isn't screaming like she was but is still throwing up a lot - even when elevated. I wonder if the zantac will help prevent the vomiting??? I really just don't want to pump then bottle feed. This is all new to me and seems a little extreme.

beyondsingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old August 25th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #2
gracefaith
Pelvic tilts fix that!

Member #: 173
I would get a second opinion. Adding rice to milk this early is a serious aspiration risk and also opens the baby up to allergies later on. It's really old school thinking.

Zantac may help. It works for some babies but not all. It didn't work for Reed who had severe reflux. I had to go completely dairy and soy free - basically, I made my breastmilk hypoallergenic.

Reflux sucks! I hope your LO feels better soon!

gracefaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #3
JulieF

Member #: 10386
My DS had reflux pretty bad for the first few months. He screamed like crazy, spit up sooo much, and it was just really hard to feed him (BF). It was really, really difficult. We tried Zantac initially and it didn't work, so the pedi switched us to a medicine that was Omeprazole (compounding), if I remember correctly. It started to work in the first week, and after another week, he was a lot better. It wasn't a magic solution or anything, but it really helped a lot. DS outgrew the reflux around 4 months -- he was only on the meds for about two months. Good luck! I remember scouring the internet like crazy trying to find help. I hope you find the right solution.

JulieF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #4
Maholi782
Whatchu lookin' at?

Member #: 10396
My son had refluc so bad he was having apnic episodes. It was so scary because he would stop breathing and turned blue.

We found Zantac and prevacid didn't help. The purpose of those meds is to remove the acidity in the spit up, which helps with the pain, but she will still spit up.

We got a referal to a pediatric GI, who gave us Reglan. Charlie was on it from the time he was 3 months to 9 months. At around 9 months we stopped the reglan and he had outgrown the reflux.

Charlie was fully breastfeed, and I didn't introduce cereal or any kind of solids until he was about 5 months. And he never got pumped milk in a bottle because he refused to take bottles.

Maholi782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Mom2JuneBugs
AKA: AmyR

Member #: 5721
Alex has reflux and was perscribed Zantac. After two weeks of being on it, it didn't seem to be helping. Now he has a little cereal in his bottle a few times a day and he is sooooo much happier!! He spit up a whole lot less (barely at all now), no crying while eating, and he's sleeping so much better. If you're not sure about adding cereal yet, get a second opinion, it never hurts to be sure! Alex was 2 months old when I started adding a little cereal to his bottle. He's now 3 months old and we've had no problems so far.

Mom2JuneBugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #6
crash

Member #: 121
My DD had reflux. Keeping her elevated during sleep and after feedings and watching my diet helped. Adding some rice cereal by spoon at 5 1/2 months made no difference. The zantac was night and day difference. She didn't outgrow her reflux until she started cruising more than she was crawling. The crawling made her reflux worse for a while and the pedi altered her dosing of the zantac which solved the problem.

I wouldn't be comfortable adding rice cereal to a bottle. I wouldn't be willing to give up bfing without exhausting other options either.

Good luck!! I hope you find a solution that makes you happy =)

crash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
momma's, reflux