Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > 2008 - 2012 Playgroups > 2011 Playgroups > August 2011 Playgroup

Reflux :( - August 2011 Playgroup

Old August 31st, 2011, 01:59 PM   #1
Debs31
Ready to meet #2!

Member #: 13673
Crying Reflux :(

So I went back to the ped today and his first week he gained 9 oz since hosp and today, he only gained 4oz in a week. Last night he was terribly fussy and it seems like in the middle of most (if not all) feedings, he pulls off my boob and cries and also won't take the bottle without fussing. The Dr thinks its reflux and DH is going to pick up the meds right now. I'm sooo upset but I really hope this helps him. We were also told to prop something under the mattress in the basinett and maybe he'll have an easier time being put down.

She wants me to pump and bottle feed him (and I can supplement with formula if I have to) until my follow up appt on Friday. She wants to measure how much he's getting a check his weight again. Poor little guy

Anyone else have any problems with reflux and notice a difference with medication??

Debs31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old August 31st, 2011, 02:46 PM   #2
AshnLeti
Mama to Zoe

Member #: 2912
If it is reflux then I hope the medicine helps. Poor little guy. Compared to our weight gain issues with Zoe the weight gain he's had doesn't sound that bad to me, although the fussing during feedings would, of course, be an issue.

Have you also talked to a lactation consultant? When I mentioned to my doctor how Zoe was taking an hour or more to feed each time, he suggested that I limit her to 20 minutes on each breast to force her to be more efficient. When I mentioned this to two different lactation consultants they both said that, although his heart was in the right place trying to help me stay sane, it is absolutely NOT what we should be doing and she did lose weight that week as a result of the limited feedings which forced us to use formula to supplement and get her weight back up quickly. So, although doctors are health care professionals they are not necessarily lactation experts and I would suggest an additional recommendation from a lactation consultant just to be sure you aren't missing something in case it isn't reflux but something else.

AshnLeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 03:08 PM   #3
lovesme4me

Member #: 3008
Poor little guy. I hope the meds do the trick for you and he can start eating again. Its so rough trying to get babies to gain the weight they need to in the beginning.

lovesme4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 03:22 PM   #4
jacksmommy06

Member #: 11421
I hope you don't mind me jumping in here. My little one has reflux and the medicine worked really well for a couple of weeks, then her reflux started coming back. We talked to the doc and he said that it's really common and you have to get the dosage upped as they gain weight, so keep an eye out for that! Good luck!

jacksmommy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 07:40 PM   #5
beyondsingle

Member #: 5660
Cadence has reflux as well. She is on liquid zantac right now. They actually did an upper GI test on her. The meds have helped her with the screaming and she doesn't spit up as much as she use to. She had only gained 13oz in almost 3 weeks. Hang in there and hope the meds help him.

beyondsingle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reflux