Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Nutrition, Diapering and More > Breastfeeding Support

Nursing with Reflux - update post 11 - Breastfeeding Support

Old August 19th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #9
Dante

Member #: 7104
Oh yeah, lying back during letdown helped us a ton! I never thought of that but learned about it at a LLL meeting. I was like duh!

Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old August 19th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #10
sbmartino
We are complete :)

Member #: 12870
Marco has really bad reflux, and we were never told to stop BFing. We were told we could pump then add a little rice cereal to a bottle if we wanted, but never that I needed to. They put him on Zantac first, which helped, but didn't eliminate the problem. Now he's on the dissolvable Prevacid AND Zantac, and he nurses just fine! Different positions didn't help us, but his reflux wasn't from my let down or my supply...DH has really bad reflux too, I think it just runs in the family. It did help to keep him upright for 20 minutes after day feedings, and at night, I had the head of his mattress elevated, and it helped a LOT. Good luck momma, I'm sure you'll get it straightened out!

sbmartino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 07:53 PM   #11
beyondsingle

Member #: 5660
Ladies thanks again for all the info and support. The Dr called me back and said that Cadence has severe reflux. The Dr wants me to pump so that I can add rice cereal to her milk. I am skeptical about this as well as worried about introducing cereal so early. Of course my DH is like well they are the Drs so you might want to listen to them. I have been doing some things to help her out the last 3-4 days and she isn't screaming like she was but is still throwing up a lot - even when elevated. I wonder if the zantac will help prevent the vomiting??? I really just don't want to pump then bottle feed. This is all new to me and seems a little extreme.

beyondsingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 08:41 PM   #12
sbmartino
We are complete :)

Member #: 12870
Marco has severe reflux too. The zantac will not likely help with the spit-up - it's designed to help relieve and prevent the pain. You need something like prevacid, that actually PREVENTS the acid, to actually stop the spit-up. Marco is on both, it worked wonders, Zantac alone definitely helped, but he still cried when he was refluxing sometimes, AND still spit up a ton.

No matter what you do, it will be whatever is best for Cadence. Good luck, let us know what does the trick for you!

sbmartino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #13
Casey

Member #: 6646
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmartino View Post
Marco has severe reflux too. The zantac will not likely help with the spit-up - it's designed to help relieve and prevent the pain. You need something like prevacid, that actually PREVENTS the acid, to actually stop the spit-up. Marco is on both, it worked wonders, Zantac alone definitely helped, but he still cried when he was refluxing sometimes, AND still spit up a ton.

No matter what you do, it will be whatever is best for Cadence. Good luck, let us know what does the trick for you!

ETA: The rice cereal added to the bottle didn't help DS a bit.

Casey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nursing, reflux