Warning: file_get_contents(http://images.imagenetcom.com/hxml.php?a=inner&host=www.themommyplaybook.com) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden in [path]/includes/functions.php(5722) : eval()'d code on line 1

Warning: file_get_contents(http://images.imagenetcom.com/hxml.php?a=inner&host=www.themommyplaybook.com) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden in [path]/includes/functions.php(5722) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: file_get_contents(http://images.imagenetcom.com/hxml.php?a=inner&host=www.themommyplaybook.com.x) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden in [path]/includes/functions.php(5722) : eval()'d code on line 7

Warning: file_get_contents(http://images.imagenetcom.com/xml.php?a=inner&host=www.themommyplaybook.com) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden in [path]/includes/functions.php(5722) : eval()'d code on line 14
Wedding Planning - Wedding dinner - The Mommy Playbook

Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Hi moms & moms to be! mom message board Welcome to The Mommy Playbook message board - a ttc, pregnancy and parenting forum.

We've enjoyed nine wonderful years together and sadly are having to announce that the TMP forums are closing. All the threads, posts and pictures will remain. Hopefully some of the conversations out here will help you on your journey whether it's into parenthood or in the midst of the madness. ;)

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Everyday Woman > Wedding Planning

Wedding dinner - Wedding Planning

Old June 10th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #1
Munko

Member #: 14753
Wedding dinner

What did you have for dinner at your reception? Did you like it or would you have done it differently?

(Trying to revive this forum!)

Munko is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old June 10th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #2
MissusE

Member #: 26564
I had my ceremony and reception in a venue that required us to use their catering. I can't remember exactly what the menu was, but it was buffet-style Italian. I do remember tortellini being an option. DH absolutely hated it, and I was kind of neutral. It was a little overcooked and bland but not awful. I couldn't have done it differently without choosing an entirely new venue (which I probably would have done, but not because of the catering - that's another story! ).

We were both starving (and I was a little tipsy from champagne and my MOH's flask) when we left, and we wound up stopping at a Taco Bell drive-through in our wedding clothes on the way to our hotel. My dress was huge. The bottom was total Cinderella poof and took both of us to fit into the car in the first place, it poofed up onto the dash with the door shut. We were so starving and exhausted that we kind of forgot what we were wearing until the cashier asked incredulously, "Did you guys just get married?"

MissusE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #3
ModernDayBradyBunch

Member #: 26635
Never married, but we intend on just doing a really massive BBQ (we are wanting to have the reception at home).

ModernDayBradyBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #4
Munko

Member #: 14753
We were going to do a big BBQ...the price was right and it was the kind if atmosphere we wanted - we don't want a formal sit down menu.

Buuuut...now we have switched to the silver service cocktail menu. It's NOT cheap, ack....but we figured...we have BBQ's with these people all the time (we have a small guest list)...these people are travelling and spending money to come to our wedding and stay in town for the night, etc. We should probably give them more than hotdogs and hamburgers when we have a world class Chef at our disposal. Since we do have a small guest list we can afford it...it's more than I wanted to spend but, we won't ever get this opportunity again - we cut costs by not having flowers etc. So we may as well go big or go home in the other areas!

So, I can't say how it was yet. But the reviews are phenomenal for this place, so I expect it will be great!

Munko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 11:56 PM   #5
invisible_ink
Serial Gum Chewer

Member #: 6395
We didn't do dinner. We were both 19 and poor as heck, so we had a dessert wedding with croissant sandwiches and a few other finger foods. My parents paid for a lot of the wedding, which after all was said and done probably cost around $1000. My aunt was a photographer who did our pictures for free except for the printing costs. Our venue was our church, which was free. We bought materials to turn the ceiling in a tent-like thing with white table cloths and white Christmas lights. $300 little wedding cake. $200 wedding dress I got for a steal.

It just depends on what you're looking for, I guess. I don't know if my guests were upset about me not serving dinner. It was a fun reception with lots of dancing, all the usual wedding things, and we didn't drag it out. We left around 7 pm for our honeymoon. It's totally up to you! The main thing is that you're getting married, and this is a celebration of that. I have nothing but happy memories of my wedding!

invisible_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 12:08 PM   #6
hardehe
Hardehe

Member #: 29
I had a friend who was in culinary school at the time do all of my food. Well, she and another girl who was in the school with her. It was finger foods, no sit down dinner, but it was all soooo good. Everyone talked about the awesome food for a while after. All I paid for was the cost of the food, and then I think I may have given them $100 to split. I couldn't tell you now what all was on the menu without looking at pictures. I saved a lot of cash by using friends to do stuff. I had another friend with a band who played the reception for free. I also did fake flowers because they were so much cheaper. I think you have a good plan as long as you have money in the budget for it. You only get married once! (Well, hopefully )

hardehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 12:15 PM   #7
Purduechic

Member #: 25440
We went waaaay overboard due to the same reasoning about people flying in and spending money on a hotel, etc... The food was amazing, and people loved it but honestly they are there to celebrate you and have a good time. I don't think I would have spent as much if I had a do over. We did steak and a fish special the hotel is known for, but I think BBQ sounds great! It doesn't have to be hot dogs and hamburgers, maybe they have a BBQ special they can do?

Sent from my iPhone using TMP Forums

Purduechic is offline   Reply With Quote