Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > The Preschooler Playground (ages 3-5)

Parent/Teacher Conferences in Preschool - The Preschooler Playground (ages 3-5)

Old October 7th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #1
WolfySara

Member #: 584
Parent/Teacher Conferences in Preschool

I'm going through "Guilt-osis" (a.k.a. "Mom Guilt") right now because the preschool that I was going to put Talia in, from what I'm hearing, just seems so much a better fit for us. One of the things they offer that our chosen preschool does not are "Parent/Teacher Conferences". Have any of you had these in preschool? I'm curious what they entail, I'm jealous of parents who get them, so I'd love to live vicariously through you guys and hear first-hand what occurs and what is shared. Thanks!

WolfySara is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old October 7th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #2
OrangeblossomB

Member #: 4428
I just had one with Angel's teacher Monday. It was pretty standard... here's what she's doing well, here's what we need to work on, here's some more positive to close with. We talked about speech therapy, and about playing nicely with friends, and how much Angel enjoys singing. I didn't think it was out of the ordinary.

Honestly, I dreaded it, and I can't say I'm looking forward to the next one, either. After years of Jeffrey's conferences, way too many of which involved the teacher obviously desperately digging for those positives to open and close with, the whole parent/teacher conference thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'll go, but I can't imagine ever being excited about one again.

OrangeblossomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #3
OrangeblossomB

Member #: 4428
Just a thought... even if conferences aren't standard practice at your preschool, why don't you ask for one, if you want one? I doubt they'd say no.

OrangeblossomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:09 AM   #4
Ali
Administrator

Member #: 42
I just had Juliana's on Tuesday. I can't say enough great things about her school. Sorry, back to the subject. Her school actually has someone come in and evaluate them. They have about 2 pages worth of things they go through with your child to see where they are at and then they repeat this 2 more times throughout the year. They also discuss the behavior and social skills your child demonstrates in class.

Beware of my mommy brag. Juliana scored excellent on hers. She is essentially ready for kindergarten. The teacher said she is where they hope most kids are at the end of the year. She laid out her plan to move Juliana onto reading and how that will work with the others in the class that are not quite there. She also told me Juliana is the class encourager and team leader. My baby praises the other children when they do a good job and when some are struggling, she encourages them to all work as a team. Juliana plays equally with all the kids and is really excelling in school.

I have to admit, this was a relief as I was sure I had already screwed her up somehow.

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #5
WolfySara

Member #: 584
Juliana and Angel are doing well in preschool.

WolfySara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conferences, parent/teacher, preschool