Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > 2014 Playgroups > September 2014 Playgroup > Birth Stories

The L Twins Birth Story - Birth Stories

Old August 29th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #1
Expecting TWINS!

Member #: 5818
The L Twins Birth Story

This is going to be long... 24 hours + of labor.

I had been contracting for weeks, sometimes often enough for me to have to go in to check to make sure they were still prodormal contractions (false labor). This is where the male doctor in my practice started really pissing me off, but since he wasn't involved in my delivery, I will just leave it at that.

On Sun the 24th, I went in because my contractions were at 8 min for 3 hours, I was dilated to a 3 1/2 and they kept me to see what would happen. I stayed for 16 hours total and didn't progress so they sent me home.

On Wed, the 27th, around 7 pm, I was having contractions as close as 5 min apart, but some were farther, but they hurt more than they had been, so I called to see what they wanted to do. The midwife suggested I come up and see if I had made any progress.

It took some time to get up to the hospital, and I got in triage about 9pm. I got hooked up to the monitors and such and I was contracting heavily, but at 10 min apart. The midwife checked me and I was at 5! I got to stay!

I called my husband, my friends, my doula, and my family and got in a room. My best friend and my doula showed up at about the same time and we got settled. I was able to get some sleep with IV pain meds, and I was making slow progress.

When I got to a 7, around 10 am, the doctor finally came in and we discussed again vaginal vs c-section. She was respectful of my rights, but had a lot of what if scenarios to explain her position on why it was best to just do a section. She seemed to be mildly supportive though bc she did check to see if B was footling, which she said would be easier to deliver, and she did say that if I've delivered an 8lb baby before, the 7 lbs they thought B was should be ok.

Throughout the day though, I got several visits from hospital staff touting all the risks of a vaginal delivery of a breach baby, twins in general, and I started to be affected by it. Thankfully my doula was focused on me and what I wanted and she helped me say no and helped me focus on my goals.

About 1, the doc decided to augment my labor and I got hooked up to an epidural and pitocin. I was at an 8 and we thought we'd have babies soon, but A was still very high and not engaged.

By 4:30 I was at a 9, but babies were still high. I found out the next day that the midwife convinced the doctor to break my water. But the doc came to me with a different angle. She explained that if I got to 10, I'd have 3 hours to get the babies to engage and she didn't think that would happen, and it would become an emergency situation. She was worried about cord prolapse if we broke my water because A was so high. So I offered that if she broke my water, I'd give it 3 hours for the babies to engage, if they did, I got a vaginal birth for both babies, barring the complications we had already talked about. If the cord prolapsed, or I hit 3 hours, I'd agree to a section.

We broke A's bag and the amount of fluid astounded the doc and the nurse. They both commented that THAT was the reason A wasn't engaged. (This kinda annoyed me because if they had been willing to do it earlier it would have meant a shorter labor for me.)

At about 6:30, I called for the nurse bc I felt pressure and sure enough I was fully engaged, holding pushing for an OR and anesthesiologist. I finally got put in an OR around 7:40 and as everyone gathered, I was still at a +2 and holding pushing. When I was finally given the ok to push, Suvi June was born in three push at 8pm, 5lb 12oz, 17in. Then the doc reached up and grabbed B's feet and helped me get her engaged, and about 7 pushes later, Hanna Leigh at 8:14pm, 6lbs, 19 in.

Hanna had fluid in her lungs, so I only got a few minutes with both of them, but they got it taken care of and she was in my room within a few hours.

Hanna ended up not eating well and she went to the NICU for a feeding tube. She will be there a min of 3 days.

Last edited by Riftara; August 31st, 2014 at 08:04 AM..
Riftara is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old August 29th, 2014, 11:05 PM   #2

Member #: 24357
Thanks for sharing your story! I'm glad you had a support system there for you and were able to get the birth you wanted in the end! Congrats!

cnd29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #3

Member #: 12297
Congrats again!

RabbitMama85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2014, 05:06 AM   #4
Team Pink!

Member #: 5028

Leigh1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2014, 03:17 PM   #5

Member #: 21610
Aw congratulations! Your doula sounds amazing glad she was there to help you with getting what you wanted and needed!

afwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 12:52 AM   #6

Member #: 25871
I'm glad you got the birth you wanted aswell!!! Xoxoxo

MH1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:09 AM   #7
TWINS coming this fall!

Member #: 16121
Beautiful story and gorgeous pics!

C-bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #8
Madilynn is here