Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > Oh Baby! (birth to age one)

Crib Mattress - Oh Baby! (birth to age one)

Old May 23rd, 2015, 10:40 PM   #1
Amndpu

Member #: 24477
Crib Mattress

So, Dh and I finally bought P a crib. We have the mattress from J which is 4 years old. He used it almost 3 years and we always kept a mattress protector on it. It never had any soaking diapers (only diapers that leaked a little) and maybe a couple times threw up on it which was cleaned up right away and as I said, was covered with a protector. For 3.5 years the mattress was in J's crib in the nursery but was only used almost 3 years. The last 5 months the mattress has been stored in a storage unit with the rest of out things since we sold our home and have been in an apartment. Anyways, this long post is really just to ask if you would still use the mattress or would buy a new one. It doesn't have any stains on it. I've read online about cleaning it with vinegar, letting it dry a few days and then wrapping it with something ( I need to do more research on it) and I know DH really doesn't want to buy a new one because we've spent a whole lot of money since buying a new house. Would you feel comfortable using it?

Amndpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2015, 10:53 PM   #2
Lindsay

Member #: 9094
we reused our daughter's from 2010. But she was only in it for a year and then it sat in her empty crib until it was moved to C's room.

Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2015, 11:08 PM   #3
Amndpu

I had fully intended on using the crib for P since the mattress only sat in the crib also. I am only second guessing it now because it has been in the storage unit for 5 months. I thought dh stored it in my mil's house but that ended up not being the case so now I'm unsure.

Old May 23rd, 2015, 11:28 PM   #4
RabbitMama85

Member #: 12297
I wanted to replace mine, but I couldn't really make it happen. I wish I could have. If you can, it's probably best, but I wouldn't sweat it if you can't.

RabbitMama85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2015, 12:41 AM   #5
Cinnamon320
Mama to 3 and 3 angels <3

Member #: 4404
We did get a new one for #2. That said, she now sleeps on #1's mattress on the toddler bed. A3 will sleep in the one we bought for A2, as she barely used it (Slept in our room in pack and play...)

I found this article helpful.

Cinnamon320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2015, 01:31 AM   #6
Altrix
aka 55555

Member #: 17653
Is the mattress a soft mattress? (I'm used to ones that are fully waterproof, but I'm getting the impression yours isn't one of those?)

Is the storage unit moist/damp/mildewy smelling?

Was the mattress stored inside something? (like a garbage bag, or heavy blanket)

Personally, if it was a soft mattress and it was stored uncovered anywhere mildly mildewy or damp where things grow like wildfire, I'd replace it. Otherwise I'd probably baking powder and vacuum it, let it sit out for a few days, then smell it to see how fresh it smells If it doesn't smell mildewy or really stale, I'd use it with a cover. If it did, I'd probably try to replace it as soon as could be arranged, only because they do spend so much time in close quarters to it.

Altrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2015, 01:38 AM   #7
Amndpu

no, it's not a soft mattress. It's a firm waterproof mattress but I kept a cover on it under the sheets anyways. I never went to the actual storage unit so i'm unsure of how moist it would get in the unit. Dh said some of the boxes felt a little damp when he brought some to the new house and the Mattress was not covered by anything. It was kept off the floor. I'll smell it tomorrow.

Old May 24th, 2015, 01:50 AM   #8
Altrix
aka 55555

Member #: 17653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amndpu View Post
no, it's not a soft mattress. It's a firm waterproof mattress but I kept a cover on it under the sheets anyways. I never went to the actual storage unit so i'm unsure of how moist it would get in the unit. Dh said some of the boxes felt a little damp when he brought some to the new house and the Mattress was not covered by anything. It was kept off the floor. I'll smell it tomorrow.
Ah, assuming it doesn't have any rips or tears or anything it's probably fine then. I'd wipe it down well (you could use a diluted bleach mixture on it after washing just to be thorough) and call it a day assuming it's in otherwise safe condition. Especially if you're going to be using another plastic-lined cover and then a sheet on top.

Altrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crib, mattress