Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Hi moms & moms to be! mom message board Welcome to The Mommy Playbook message board - a ttc, pregnancy and parenting forum.

Our mommy forums are filled with fun, chatty & supportive women.  We'd love it if you'd join us!  You'll find there's something here for everyone.  Our trying to conceive - fertility forums are a great place to share your stories & chat about getting pregnant.  The pregnancy and parenting forums are filled with way too much to list here, but we do have to mention Due Date Clubs!

Membership is absolutely free and registration is fast and simple so come on in and join our community of mommies and moms to be today!! Members enjoy fewer ads, access to private forums, private messaging and so much more!  

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please feel free to contact us.

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Everyday Woman > Pet Forum

Dog Acting Out - Pet Forum

Old April 16th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Hello Kitty
Administrator

Member #: 7099
Dog Acting Out

The older Jackson gets the more my dog (almost 4 year old Maltese male) is acting out when it comes to food. We is always trying to get up on the tables now when we have food out or he will try and pull at Jackson's high chair if food has fallen in there when he's eating... he's been tearing up the trash in the kitchen and if I try and scold him or take things away from him etc he will growl or snap at me and I am not okay with that. I've tried putting him on the other side of the baby gate when there's food out but he will bark like crazy for an hour straight and we just can't take it. I'm not sure how to break him of all of this...

Do you think he's acting out since Jackson is getting so much attention? He does seem to love Jackson, when food is not involved he will run around with Jackson and they "play" together and chase each other... I'm just not sure what to do.

Hello Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old April 17th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #2
Liz M
One day at a time...

Member #: 10538
Oh man Amy I have no advise cus we all know Maggie is the epitome of bad behavior . But we should plan for Harley to come over for play dates, maybe he will feel extra special or something? Let's talk tomorrow.

Liz M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #3
Hello Kitty
Administrator

Member #: 7099
You just reminded me of another problem... when ever people come over (specifically Liz M) Harley goes on a crazy humping spree!! lol

Hello Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:58 AM   #4
maddy

Member #: 2827
I dont have any advice either, but my shih tzu is so aggressive when it comes to me eating. If I am eating something he "stands guard" and if I give my food to someone else he goes ape****. He starts growling and lounging at whomever I am sharing my food with. It's ridiculous!

maddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 12:45 AM   #5
GodsLovely
Workin' On Me

Member #: 14768
I heard that to make your dog understand who is "master" (this may sound gross, but it works) give your baby a dog treat..like a bone or something and let him knaw on it for a few minutes to slobber on it then give it to the dog and the dog understands that he gets "what's left over" and he will understand that the baby is master...

GodsLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 12:51 PM   #6
September
Mama 2 Five

Member #: 6131
No, don't give your baby a dog treat. Unless it's suitable for human consumption don't feed dog food to the children, especially with all these treat recalls going around.

I don't think it's a dominance issue in itself, but there are other things you can check to see whom he sees as dominant and see if you can tell where Jackson falls in his "pack". I would label this food aggressive.

The humping IS a dominance issue. One of the reasons dogs hump is to exert dominance and make sure people know he's the more top ranking pack member. Is he neutered?

I think dominance training may help him, but I would check with Madrose first to see what she has to say.

September is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 01:32 AM   #7
GodsLovely
Workin' On Me

Member #: 14768
Quote:
Originally Posted by September View Post
No, don't give your baby a dog treat. Unless it's suitable for human consumption don't feed dog food to the children, especially with all these treat recalls going around.
of course don't give it to him unless it can be eatin by humans. i didnt mean let him just eat it...just slobber on it a bit... but on a serious note i wasn't implying give it to him to just let him have it.

ooohhh...nevermind...just ignore that comment i posted previously...
me---> <---me

GodsLovely is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acting

The Mommy Playbook > Everyday Woman > Pet Forum